Micro Teaching Presentation 21st March 2018

Planning for this was hard!  I was procrastinating about even beginning.  Actually I didn’t really know where to start.  I realised that because I have so much teaching material I rarely have to start ‘from scratch’.  Usually when I am planning a lecture or seminar I know the topic and expected end result.  With this I had to make it up myself and this was what I found hard.  The time was also posing a problem.  What I teach comes from 22 years of industry experience; its very hard to condense even a small part into 10 minutes.

With little time left I remembered a useful planning tool I learnt when I began studying my PGCert some 5 years ago…….

engestrom

I used this to plan my subject and suddenly everything fell into place.  The actual session then only took a short time to produce.

MICRO TEACHING SESSION

This session incorporated some tried and tested teaching techniques which I felt confident at delivering considering I had no guinea pigs for a test run and little time to practise.

On the day of the session I was busy, rushing and worried about leaving to pick up my children – resulting in a lack of focus on the task in hand.

I revisited the Engestrom planning cycle to see what I would have done differently:

The words in red are where I felt I needed to give greater consideration in my planning.  I had forgotten the group, although mainly working at UAL, would not have the same industry knowledge or comprehension of fashion business that I have.  I also realised that I forgot to explain the outcomes at the beginning – this is something I rarely have to do because my seminars follow lectures although I would always do this for a lecture.

This is an image of the feedback given in the session and how I grouped the comments:

Feedback seemed to be grouped into 4 areas:

Specific content – comments related to the sustainability and production of the item and best practice.

General positives – presentation style, relaxed delivery, good use of props and interesting subject, relevance to big picture demonstrated.

Specific positives – good subject knowledge, concluded well, industry relevance, interactive.

Improvements – speed of delivery too fast, opening explanation and session outcomes needed, clarification of some terminology, swop the tasks.

Overall I was pleased with how the session went.

What I learnt?

Don’t assume everyone has the same basic understanding as you.

Be clear about session outcomes.

Don’t rush!

Practice timings.